September 27, 2009

Open Mic @ The LORE Lounge, New Bedford, MA

Live Review
Jason Perry, southcoast247.com assistant editor

June 30, 2009

Call me short sighted. Maybe I am completely oblivious like Bill Murray in What About Bob? But based on my experience with the South Coast music scene, a majority of the artists fall into the categories of alternative/experimental rock, NYC-inspired hardcore, or Bay Area-esque punk. While many of those bands are excellent at what they do, I find myself yearning for a change of pace: A sound that doesn't rely on quirky synths, acoustic strumming, or silly lyrics to get noticed in this area.

So I decided to visit New Bedford's The LORE Lounge underneath Gallery X on William Street to engulf my night in a creatively open environment. At The LORE Lounge, jazz, soul, and blues players share the stage with poets and spoken word performers in a venue that welcomes both the ordinary and extraordinary. Think of it as a workspace; a place where artists can perform whatever they want, whenever they want, in front of an audience that supports any form of creative expression.

I arrived at 9:00 p.m. in time to catch a free flowing hip-hop session from local rapper NuBomb, who performed in front of a scant, but attentive, crowd. NuBomb wasn't short on passion and, if anything, represented the core purpose of The LORE Lounge: to give an artist, regardless of talent level or experience, an opportunity to satisfy his muse. Afterward, NuBomb took a moment to shake hands with the audience; an act of appreciation.

Following NuBomb was Robert Barboza; an accomplished journalist and poetry extraordinaire. Robert brought a wonderful support system of family and friends with him as he shared poems from his latest book, "The Way The Wind Bends Things." Personally, I'm not a poetry enthusiast, but I respected Robert's subtle passion as he read his work aloud. Most of Robert's selections hinted at his personal experiences, both as a father and a journalist, with the highlight being "When I Was Thirsty;" a sincere thank you to his friends for helping him raise a child. Robert's time in the spotlight drew a well-deserved round of applause, which he appeared to genuinely appreciate.

The highlight of the night for me was a soulful, four-piece jam session featuring Mwalim *7), the proprietor of The Lore Lounge movement, on keyboard and vocalist Phillip Aaron on the mic. The band flowed through key jazz notes like a silk thread swaying in the breeze, changing tempos at will to create a composition that refused to travel along the beaten path. This style of music was what I came for: As cliche as it may be, it was a breath of fresh air.

The LORE Lounge stays open until 2 a.m., but since my eyelids felt like they were hooked to slabs of concrete, I had to call it a night by 11 p.m. I took with me a feeling I haven't been acquainted with in a while when leaving a music venue: inspiration. There were hits, there were misses, and there was a moment or two of confusion, but it was impressively brought together by an aura of raw creativity that you simply don't get in other local venues.
 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe